|Office:||2312 Collaborative Innovation Center|
4720 Forbes Ave
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
My research focuses on networked real-time embedded systems for sensing and control applications. We are seeing an increasing number of new systems that interact directly with the environment where poor performance, unanticipated results and failure can be catastrophic. In the spirit of systems research, I like to design, implement and evaluate these types of systems in order to truly understand them.
The core of my work is on developing large-scale sensor networks and their supporting technologies that are energy-efficient and provide real-time properties. Sensor networks are a practical mechanism for bringing contextual information and new abilities to the already numerous embedded systems that surround us. They have the potential to revolutionize a wide range of application areas ranging from transportation and critical infrastructure monitoring to smart buildings and microgrids. Part of this effort has involved developing systems that provide precise timing and navigation to support localization in GPS-denied environments like inside buildings.
My most recent interests are on platforms and system support for multi-user collaborative mixed (eXtended) reality systems. XR systems combine elements of sensing, precise localization, wearable hardware and edge computing in a way that allows us to seamlessly link traditional computer applications with the real-world.
I am currently the director of the CONIX Research Center, one of six centers in JUMP, an SRC program sponsored by DARPA investigating the future of distributed computing. CONIX aims to provide a new middle tier of distributed computing that tightly couples the cloud and edge by pushing increased levels of autonomy and intelligence into the network.
For more information about my group, please visit the Wireless, Sensing and Embedded Systems (WiSE Lab) webpage.
I have information and photos for talks on my bio page.
- Aug 7, 2020: Gizmodo wrote a nice article about our Osprey work.
- May 5th, 2020: Congrats to Akarsh, Vaibhav and Artur on two new MobiSys papers.
- June 19th, 2020: Congrats to Akshay on winning IPSN best paper!
- March 20th, 2020: Congrats to Rahul, Adwait, John, Akshay and Nick for two new IPSN papers.
- Oct. 20th, 2019: Congrats to Elahe for winning the EECS Rising Stars workshop Research Pitch Competition!
- Sep. 26th, 2019: Congrats to Niranjini, John, Krishna and Anh for Best Paper Runner up at IPIN on some early AR work
- Aug 22nd, 2019: Congrats to Team Explorer for winning the first round of the DARPA SubT challenge!
- June 20, 2019: New NSDI paper on LP-WAN
- May 17th, 2019: Congrats to Yodel Labs for wining the AlphaLab Gear Nationals.
- May 7th, 2019: Congrats to SparkMeter on their recent fundraising!
- Apr. 16th, 2019: Two new CPS Week papers at IPSN and ICCPS in Montreal.
- Sep. 17th, 2018: New IoT@CyLab initiative launching
- Apr. 13th, 2018: Congrats to Niranjini, John, Krishna and Anh for winning best demo at IPSN for their AR work.
- Apr. 12th, 2018: Congrats to Adwait, Revathy, Akshay, Anh and Artur for winning best paper at IPSN for Charm.
- Apr. 11th, 2018: CMU and Yodel Labs (ALPS spinout) came in first and second at the IPSN Indoor Localization Competition.
- Apr. 10th, 2018: Three new papers at IPSN in Porto!
- Jan 15th, 2018: The CONIX Research Center awarded $27.5M (press release)
- Nov 26th, 2017: New ARPA-E project with Endeveo on people counting
- July 24th, 2017: Great NPR Morning Edition segment talking about our safe cyclist project!
- June 18th, 2017: New NIST project on Localizing Firefighters inside Buildings
- Aug 15th, 2016: New DOE Project on HVAC Control
- Aug 10th, 2016: New ARPA-E GridBallast project on Load Control with NRECA
- May 12th, 2016: Congrats to Niranjini for winning one of this year's Samsung Fellowships
- Mar 30th, 2016: I'm honored to receive the Dr. William D. and Nancy W. Strecker Early Career Chair.
- Feb 8th, 2016: Just got back from the World Economic Forum (WEF) in Davos. Watch my 5 min Talk about IoT security.
- Dec 14th, 2015: Co-chairing ACM SenSys 2016 at Stanford
- Dec 4th, 2015: New Bosch Energy Research Network (BERN) project on energy management software
- Oct 20th, 2015: Excited to be a recipient of CMU's Steven J. Fenves Research Award
- Nov 12th, 2015: New ALPS localization work at SenSys and some early Non-Technical Loss Microgrid work at BuildSys
- Aug 26, 2015: New NSF BIC project on Indoor Localization in the Pittsburgh Convention Center
- July 9th, 2015: Internet of Things Google Expedition launches
- June 9th, 2015: Haiti micro-grid expanded to 430 homes
- May 5th, 2015: New Samsung project on indoor localization.
- Apr 16th, 2015: New ALPS system wins Infrastructure-based Microsoft Indoor Localization Competition
- Apr 1st, 2015: ICCPS paper on occupancy estimation and RTAS paper on localization and time sync presented at CPS week.
- June 17th, 2014: New NSF project about keeping track of time in Cyber-Physical Systems.
- Apr 23rd, 2014: Co-chairing ACM/IEEE IPSN 2015 in Seattle
- Apr 14th, 2014: New ALPS hardware came in a respectable 4th in the IPSN localization competition for infrastructure-based solutions.
- Apr 1st, 2014: Two new IPSN papers to be presented at CPS week.
- Dec 6th, 2013: New DOE project on programmable buildings
- Dec 2nd, 2013: Two new papers at RTSS
- Aug 20th, 2013: Deployed a wirelessly controlled micro-grid in Les Anglais Haiti. More details in this paper.
- Aug 17th, 2013: Our CMUcam5 kickstarter is funded! Thanks for the support: Gizmodo, EE Times, Hack-a-day, Techcrunch, Azosensors, PCWorld, Scoop.it!, Solid State Technologies, Ubergizmo, Electronics Weekly and WSJ Marketwatch.
- Jan 17th, 2013: The TerraSwarm Research Center awarded $27.5M.
- Nov. 6th, 2012: SenSys paper on ultrasonic ranging of smartphones.
- Mar. 21th, 2012: CMUcam4 now on sale!
- Nov. 16th, 2011: Appliance Classification using multi-modal sensing won best poster at BuildSys 2011
- Nov. 11th, 2010: Some Sensor Andrew making its way to the local press.
- Nov. 8th, 2010: CMU story on SAGA
- Nov. 2nd, 2010: EMF-based appliance state detection got voted Best Paper by the crowd at BuildSys 2010.
- Jan. 4th, 2010: NSF video piece on energy management.
- Nov. 12th, 2009: Syntonistor wins SenSys 2009 best paper award.
- Feb. 3th, 2009: 'Smart' buildings, structures may save billions article about Sensor Andrew.
- Dec. 6th, 2008: Nano-RK gets an energy boost from Rate-Harmonized Scheduling at RTSS.
- Fall 2017: 18-349 Introduction to Embedded System Design
- Spring 2016: 18-549 Embedded Systems Design (capstone)
- Fall 2016: 18-349 Introduction to Embedded System Design
- Spring 2016: 18-549 Embedded Systems Design (capstone)
- Fall 2015: 18-349 Introduction to Embedded System Design
- Spring 2015: 18-549 Embedded Systems Design (capstone)
- Fall 2014: 19-848c Networked Cyber-Physical Systems
- Spring 2014: 15/18-213 Introduction to Computer Systems
- Fall 2013: 18-848c Networked Cyber-Physical Systems
- Fall 2012: 18-648 Real-Time Embedded Systems
- Spring 2012: 15-213/18-213 Introduction to Computer Systems
- Fall 2011: 18-848c Networked Cyber-Physical Systems
- Spring 2011: 15-213/18-243 Introduction to Computer Systems
- Fall 2010: 18-848c Networked Cyber-Physical Systems
Current Lab Members
- Adwait Dongare (Ph.D.)
- Artur Balanuta (Ph.D.)
- John Miller (Ph.D.)
- Rahul Sharma (Ph.D. co-advised with Vyas Sekar)
- Akarsh Prabhakara (Ph.D. co-advised with Swarun Kumar)
- Raewyn Duvall (Ph.D. co-advised with Red Whittaker)
- Reese Grimsley (Ph.D. co-advised with Bob Iannucci)
- Eric Riebling (Senior Research Programmer)
- Elahe Soltanaghaei (post-doc)
- Courtney Kowaluk (Research Programmer)
- Corentin Dugué (M.S.)
- Nimita Naik (M.S.)
- Sharan Turlapati (M.S.)
- Alex Johnson (M.S.)
- Jonathan Nee (U.G.)
- Josh Corona (U.G.)
- Daniel Cohen (U.G.)
Previous Lab Members
- 2019 Niranjini Rajagopal (Ph.D.)
- 2019 Evan Li (Research Programmer), Nick Wilkerson (Research Programmer), Anh Luong (Post-Doc), Craig Hesling (M.S. / Research Programmer), Malik Parker (M.S.), Darius Davis (M.S.), Vinamra Benara (U.G), Yu-Sam Huang (M.S.), Wei-Chia "Henry" Yen (M.S.), Karan Dhabalia (U.G.), Matthew Chu (U.G.)
- 2018 Max Buevich (Ph.D.)
- 2018 Oliver Shih (Ph.D.)
- 2018 Luis Pinto (Ph.D.)
- 2018 Nikhil Mohan (U.G.), Aaron Perley (U.G.), Baavana Balaji (M.S.),
- 2017 Patrick Lazik (Ph.D.)
- 2017 Khushboo Bhatia (Research Programmer), Rohit Garg (Research Programmer)
- 2017 Jacob Brooks (U.G.),Abhinand Sukumar (U.G.), Krishna Kumar (M.S.), Gokul Devaraju (M.S.), Baavana Balaji (M.S.), Jonathan Appiagyei (U.G.), Vikram Shanker (U.G.)
- 2017 Ryan Park (U.G.), Kyuin Lee (U.G.), Sander Shi (U.G.), Nuno Pereira (Visiting Professor)
- 2016 Frank Mokaya (Ph.D. co-advised with Pei Zhang)
- 2016 Sindhura Chayapthy (M.S.), Nikhil Choudhary (U.G.), Chris Palmer (Research Programmer), Anson Wang (U.G.)
- 2015 Ian Hartwig (U.G), Aaron Reyes (U.G.), James Mackaman (U.G.), Kaan Dogrusoz (U.G)
- 2014 Spencer Barton (U.G.), Connor Brem (U.G.)
- 2013 Nat Storer (U.G.), Kwabena Agyemen (U.G.), Steven DeVincentis (U.G.)
- 2012 Amey Asgaonkar (M.S.), Str Bargav (M.S.), Abhijeeth Nuthan (M.S.), Shyama Asokan (M.S.)
- 2011 Vishakh Rao (M.S.), Xianliang Li (M.S.), Xu Zhang (M.S.)
- 2009 Yi-Zhi Wu, (M.S.), Pavan Rao (M.S.)
- 2008 Aditya Bhave (M.S), Gurpreet Singh (M.S.)
- 2020 TPCs: IPSN, Mobicom
- 2019 TPCs: SenSys, IPSN, Mobicom, eWSN, TOSNJ
- 2018 TPCs: SenSys, IPSN, eWSN, TOSNJ
- 2017 TPCs: SenSys, ION GNSS, CPS Week Organization, ACM TOSN Journal Associate Editor, MobiSys
- 2016 TPCs: SenSys (co-chair), IPSN, eWSN, RTAS, HotMobile, ION GNSS
- 2015 TPCs: SenSys, IPSN (co-chair), RTAS, RTSS, ICDCS
- 2014 TPCs: IPSN, RTSS, IWRSN, VLCS
- 2013 TPCs: SenSys, IPSN, RTAS, RTSS, CPSNA, PWSN
- 2012 TPCs: SenSys, IPSN, RTAS (WSN chair), RTSS
- 2011 TPCs: SenSys, BuildSys, RTSS, RTAS, ICDCS, IGCC
- 2010 TPCs: RTSS (WiP), SUTC