Industry Forum on
Critical Topics in Dependability at DSN 2008:
- Submission deadline: May 15, 2008
- Author notification: May 22, 2008
- Camera ready copy: June 2, 2008
Call for Participation:
Reliability, availability, maintainability, information assurance, and other
dependability-related issues are top considerations in all areas of the IT
industry and the industries that IT enables, and this technology area employs
an immense number of industrial practitioners in fields spanning theory,
architecture, analysis, design, implementation, verification, test, and
service. However, developments in these rapidly-moving industries
(virtualization, SOA, grid computing, mobile computing, cloud computing,
wireless connectivity, internet access on airliners, electronic voting, ...)
regularly present new challenges, opportunities, and (hopefully) solutions that
are sometimes overlooked by the academic community. Also, significant academic
and theoretical achievements, such as are regularly presented at DSN, are often
insufficiently recognized by industrial practitioners. Regular interchange
between academia and industry is vital for the continued relevance of the
former, and advancement of the latter.
To further this agenda, DSN is hosting an Industry Forum to which we invite
industrial practitioners in (1) the broad area of IT dependability and (2)
industries that rely on dependable IT systems to engage with other DSN
attendees. At the Forum, we are interested in hearing about the burning
problems that keep you up at night, solutions that you think the academic and
theoretical communities may be unaware of or interested in, emerging challenges
or opportunities for dependability technology, and ways to get the academic and
industrial sectors to work together. We eagerly invite you to attend the entire
DSN conference, and engage fully with the DSN attendees.
Participation, Submission and Selection Process:
All prospective Industry Forum participants should submit an abstract,
work-in-progress report, or position paper. Submissions will be fully refereed
by the PC members. Accepted abstracts, reports, and papers will be published in
a supplemental volume of the DSN 2008 proceedings. Accepted participants are
also expected to give a twenty-minute presentation at the Forum.
Please submit a two-paragraph abstract describing your proposed topic using
the submission mechanism below. If accepted, you should provide a two- to
four-page camera-ready paper in IEEE CS 2-column format, by the due date listed
above to that same submission site.
This highly interactive Forum will consist of a combination of
presentations, panel sessions, and a round table discussion. Depending on the
number of accepted submittals, it will last up to one day.
- Chair: Rick Harper, IBM Research, USA
- Wendy Bartlett, Hewlett-Packard, USA
- Peter Carr, Sun Microsystems, USA
- Ram Chillarege, Chillarege, Inc., USA
- Cristian Constantinescu, AMD, USA
- Brendan Murphy, Microsoft Research, UK
- Lisa Spainhower, IBM, USA
- Bob Swarz, The MITRE Corporation, USA
- Bob Yeh, Boeing, USA
The organizers can be reached by e-mail at:
Submission will be via web site only at
The above site will take you to a form with the following fields. Please
adhere carefully to the following instructions when submitting your paper.
- File to send: Only PDF files will be accepted. Please use the
following naming convention for your file.
- X is the first author's last name
- Y is an abbreviation of the first author's institution
- n is 0 for your first paper. Increment n for each additional paper you
submit to the workshop.
- Recipient's email address: Please fill in
- Your name: Please give the first author's full name and
- Your email address: Please give the email address at which you wish
to receive the acknowledgement. Please allow 48 hours. If you experience any
difficulties, please email: jhoe+DSN@ece.cmu.edu