I am a PhD student in the ECE department at Carnegie Mellon University. I'm also part of CyLab. My research interests are in the areas of computer security and privacy, machine learning, human factors, and online anonymity and censorship.
I'm fortunate to be advised by Lujo Bauer and Nicolas Christin.
Before joining CMU, I received my Bachelor's and Master's degrees in computer science from the University of Haifa.
Apr '18: Paper accepted to CV-COPS (a CVPR workshop).
Feb '18: Very honored to receive the Symantec Research Labs Fellowship.
Feb '18: I'm on the PC of EuroUSEC and NLP4IF. Please consider submitting!
Jan '18: Excited to join the Oakland Student PC meeting in NY!
Nov '17: Paper accepted to NDSS 2018.
Sep '17: Participating in the Adversarial Machine Learning Workshop.
Jun '17: Spending a week in France for FADEx 2017.
May '17: Visiting Denver for CHI 2017.
Apr '17: Attending the Qualcomm Innovation Fellowship final.
Jan '17: Presenting our work in the FTC's PrivacyCon.
Jan '17: Paper accepted to CHI.
- Sharif, M., Bauer, L., & Reiter, M. On the Suitability of $L_p$-norms for Creating and Preventing Adversarial Examples. In Proc. CV-COPS (CVPRW), 2018. To appear. [PDF | BIB | arXiv]
- Melicher, W., Das, A., Sharif, M., Bauer, L., & Jia, L. Riding Out DOMsday: Toward Detecting and Preventing DOM Cross-Site Scripting. In Proc. NDSS, 2018. [PDF | BIB]
- Sawaya, Y., Sharif, M., Christin, N., Kubota, A., & Nakarai, A. Self-Confidence Trumps Knowledge: A Cross-Cultural Study of Security Behavior. In Proc. CHI, 2017. Equal Contribution by first two authors. [PDF | AUX | BIB]
- Weinberg, Z., Sharif, M., Szurdi, J., & Christin, N. Topics of Controversy: An Empirical Analysis of Web Censorship Lists. In PoPETS, 2017. [PDF | BIB]
- Sharif, M., Bhagavatula, S., Bauer, L., & Reiter, M. Accessorize to a Crime: Real and Stealthy Attacks on State-of-the-Art Face Recognition. In Proc. CCS, 2016. [PDF | BIB | VID]
- Melicher, W., Sharif, M., Tan, J., Bauer, L., Christodorescu, M., & Leon, P. G. (Do Not) Track Me Sometimes: Users' Contextual Preferences for Web Tracking. In PoPETS, 2016. [PDF | BIB]
- Sharif, M., Bhagavatula, S., Bauer, L., & Reiter, M. Adversarial Generative Nets: Neural Network Attacks on State-of-the-Art Face Recognition. arXiv, 2017. [PDF | BIB]
More info can be found on my DBLP, Google Scholar, and ResearchGate pages.
I enjoy playing different kinds of sports (mainly soccer, but also squash, basketball, volleyball, softball, and others). Feel free to send me a challenge or invite me to join a game sometime :-)
Email address: firstname + first character of lastname [at] cmu dot edu
You can also find me at my desk:
2131B, Collaborative Innovation Center
4720 Forbes Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15213