ANSI/UL 4600: Standard for Safety for the Evaluation of Autonomous Products
ANSI/UL 4600 provides a way to assess the safety case for an autonomous
vehicle. Issued in April 2020, it was the first comprehensive standard for
public road autonomous vehicle safety to cover both urban and highway use
Get a copy of the standard:
- Downloadable voting draft
version / (archive.org
- This is the version that was used for the final consensus voting. Futher
changes were small editorial clean-ups. It is close enough to the final version
that is useful for students and those wanting to get an idea of what is in the
official version of the standard.
digital view version from UL.org
- Ignore the price tag and select the "Digital View" button, not
the purchase options button. This is the entire official standard. It is
viewable in a browser, but not downloadable. Free account registration is
- There is also a link to purchase the standard. Purchase is NOT required for
few digital view.
- Official UL.org landing page: https://ul.org/UL4600
- Current voting members of the Standards Technical Panel (hosted
This web site is not affiliated with Underwriters Laboratories, which
publishes ANSI/UL 4600. Nor is it affiliated with UL LLC.
Updated August 2021.